Friday, April 8, 2011

The "farce" of having it all

The chapter on "Alphas in Love," really struck a nerve with me. I was impressed with Kindlon on the information that the Alpha Girls he interviewed are committed to having loving relationships and children. Unlike Alpha Girls of prior generations, or women that wanted to have strong careers, Alpha Girls, according to Kindlon, don't have to choose between having a careers that fulfills them, while at the same time having children and a spouse. Why does there have to be a choice? I came from a two-parent household where both of my parents worked full-time. While my mother was not at home everyday when I got in from school, I don't believe that it lessened my quality of life. I thought it was almost fascinating to the point of upsetting that many of the pool of Alpha Girls wanted strong careers, to get married later, then have children, choosing then to stay at home. While I believe in the concept that women can make decisions about their own lives, and that includes choosing to work or choosing to stay home, I am alienated by how different this all seems from me and my life, and especially the lives of my students. Looking at the faces of my students, grading papers, entering grades, I have predictions of what I think their futures can hold. For my brighter girls, I see college, graduate school, strong careers. I envision lives where they can take care of themselves, growing and becoming members of society that I know will change our world. Would the choice even be open to girls to stay at home? If they did not work, how would they support themselves? Would society believe that they are on welfare? Would my girls have a "responsibility" to the race to work and have a family?

No comments:

Post a Comment